College students holding residence permits issued by a Member State of the European Union and covered by an European Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures, or by an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, are allowed to enter and stay in Portuguese territory for a period of study, and also to carry out a professional activity in accordance with Article 97 (“Lei n.º 102/2017”), for a maximum period of 360 days, provided that they notify SEF (“Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras”) thereof until 30 days before the start of the mobility period.

The notification should also include a scanned copy of these documents:

- Valid passport;
- Copy of the Residence Authorization issued by another Member State in which they reside, valid for the entire period stay;
- Health insurance or proof of coverage by the National Health Service;
- Proof of means of subsistence;
- Proof of admission to a higher education institution under an EU mobility programme or agreement with the higher education institute of origin;
- Proof of payment of tuition fees, if applicable.

The notification must be sent by e-mail to the SEF regional directorate of the study area and up to 30 days before the start of the mobility period.

Regional directorates:

Lisboa e Vale do Tejo – and 
Centre – 
Algarve – 
Madeira – 
Azores –  
North –


  • Share